Continent part 2

This is the place to discuss building questions, ideas, and suggestions.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

*muhahaha* not any more, i'm an avid player now! (and yes, it's because of three posts one after another in a different thread, but no, i didn't do it on purpose, i just kept thinking of things i wanted to add and didn't want to edit the posts to the point where they took up three and a half pages.) i agree though slart, it can have ALOT to do with how well you know the mud and the levelling techniques. level 20-30 elves and druids can be REALLY good short term fighters with all their flaming eq and their spells ramping up respectably, but if you don't know where to find any of that eq, you can be pretty much screwed until you find it or find someone who knows where to get it. (well, comparatively screwed atleast, there are plenty of elves/druids myself included who heroed and avatared before the advent of the flaming code). thankfully, most of the players who DO like powerlevelling, and are good at it, tend to share a portion of this talent with others, whether through forum discusion, BR conversaion, eq donation once moving on to something better (and announcing the fact, so it doesn't just melt in donations), and grouping with others when not concentrating on demons and/or tgamers. some of this behaviour is altruistuic, but alot of it is more symbiotic. as an example, i'm currently levelling one of my druid alts. i COULD do this be repeated drinking binges and long periods of waiting, or i could find alternative ways. since i don't yet have a high mortal druid (silly me, i keep avataring them) the whole energy transfer route is out, so i group. i get the ability to kill mobs in les mis at level 13, and my group mates get my elf bouncing all ofer the realms getting them my favorite eq because i want them to hit harder so i don't get my butt kicked, as well as receiving a guided tour of some of my favorite levelling areas. it really works out very well for everyone involved:)

oh, and as for 100 hero levels in under an hour, i can do it easy. i'm working on my druid for a litle while, but once i get suicide remorted again, i'll stop as soon as i hit 51 and wait to see you online so i can prove it joy :) *wants a nifty prezzie*
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

and yes annie, i did avatar in 24 hours. and i LOVE very nearly all the ideas that have been expressed in this thread so far, except possibly the level restriction one. if character X simply isn't good enough by the time he reaches level Y, but is good enough a few levels later, i don't think we should exclude him from being able to go have a look around. instead, maybe only allow grouping for characters within the level range, anyone above that range has to do it solo or not at all? (and dissallow multiplaying throughout the entire continent, imo. if it's a group area, what's the point of grouping with yourself, and i completely agree that healer-morts should not be allowed to ruin the challenge aspect of the continent theme)
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

as an additional idea (similar to !quit rooms) i'd like to see a no_quit flag for items, which would cause those items not to be stored in a players pfile, but dissolve immediately when they quit. this would be particularly useful for keys and puzzles, and could also be used for some extra-powerful reward eq for solving hard puzzles/killing hard mobs. each time the player wanted to use the eq, he'd have to go and re-do whatever he needed to do to get the item in the first place. i would also like to see no_recall items, not allowing players to recall while that item was in their inventory, and no_area items, which would disolve at any time the player left the area in which the item repops. (this might require some fairly extensive coding, but would go along well with code designed to give each area its own weather. if each area was assigned a number refering to the vnumbs assigned for the area, and calathar was area number 7 for instance, a no_area_7 flag would prevent that item from being taken outside the walls of calathar. it would probably be possible to add a list of allowed areas instead, similarly to personalization lists, in case the builder would want to allow that item to be used in the arena as well, but i don't know enough about the current item code to have any idea the degree of difficulty the coding would present)
Stars
Mud Addict

Post by Stars »

Hey, I'm all for keys that disappear. Single-use keys would be best in my opinion, but this would do almost as well.
The stars brightly shine upon our world, a constant reminder of our origin. We are stars.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i'd like to see both. single use keys are good in some situations, but not so good in others. maybe the area is based on a story of a mythical quest, and the adventurer is given a piece of magical eq to help them with that quest. the player can use that eq until they either finish the quest, or give up and log out, in which case they have to start over.
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Joysinger wrote:i'd like everything on the new continent to be untrackable. i'd also like
!pass door flags. no teleport/astral would also be great. for the whole thing.

i also think it'd be cool if you could quit anywhere on the continent, but if you did, you'd restart at recall, like mentioned before. :) (ok, maybe a special place in the main town/area of the continent instead of recall)

and maybe recalling itself should only be possible when you haven't wandered too far into the continent, as well.

*is all for making it hard and tricky* :)
I think that really needs to be up to the area designers to use judiciously, as they see fit.
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i agree kiri, i'm all for giving designers the ability to do as they see fit. i would, though, like if possible for the new continant as a whole to not be random-tp-able. i imagine that reworking the area format to allow that sort of a flag would be pretty difficult, so if it CAN'T be done, atleast have something appear in hinfo letting us know it was a continent mob that killed them. i don't think that CRs for true newbies who have the bad luck to be tp'd into an "expert" area should fall under the same catagory as those that have a random tp error, the same as i always give a CR for someone who has the misfortune of mis-tp-ing into the clockwork lab (which my mortal has done before, though thankfully not to a seeinvis aggro like the last mortal i gave a CR to)
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

That makes sense, Dis.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

kiri wrote:
Joysinger wrote:i'd like everything on the new continent to be untrackable. i'd also like
!pass door flags. no teleport/astral would also be great. for the whole thing.

i also think it'd be cool if you could quit anywhere on the continent, but if you did, you'd restart at recall, like mentioned before. :) (ok, maybe a special place in the main town/area of the continent instead of recall)

and maybe recalling itself should only be possible when you haven't wandered too far into the continent, as well.

*is all for making it hard and tricky* :)
I think that really needs to be up to the area designers to use judiciously, as they see fit.
Wait wait... does this mean the !pass door, !track, etc flags will go in?
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

If used for the continent, yes.