healing rods

This is the place to discuss building questions, ideas, and suggestions.
Smeagain

healing rods

Post by Smeagain »

Not sure if this is the right forum but anyways...

Ive been meaning to write this for a couple of weeks but just never got around to it. I noticed a few changes had been applied to the mud when i got back from a recent holiday, obviously to try and balance the game better. But i wondered if maybe there was a better solution to one particular change.

I know that the healing rods from amazon have been heavily abused with the mob in question being consistantly summoned or teleported to, giving easy access to a powerful healing item. Personally, ive yet to get a high level elf or druid and so always had to hunt the mob on foot. As a result I had to learn the area pretty well.

Its a beautifully written area with some good eq items, but its also a hell of a walk from recall and has some REALLY nasty rooms to catch the unwary adventurer. I thought that since its always being said that people just dont explore enough this may be an oppourtunity to give people a good incentive to explore.

If, instead of the mob being removed, the amazon forest was made nomagic in/out then the rods would not be so easily abused. In the time it takes to hunt down the rods and brandish it, a person can collect various other healing items and heal themselves just as well. The lure of the rod is that it heals all within the room. but comes with the expense of having to hunt for the item within a dangerous area. To aquire the rod safely you would have to know which rooms were safe and which werent and just hope that the mob was somewhere safe to get to. So you would have to explore. and explore well.

The only way to avoid having to search is to track the mob, which may lead you straight into the path of a big and nasty seeinvis aggro (Use a tracking trigger at your peril ;))
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb
Faustus

Post by Faustus »

Well, it's not just a matter of instinctually knowing which rooms are safe and which aren't. Those who take the time to read the room descriptions will find some clues and warning about where these dangerous rooms lie.

(And thanks for the nice area plug...)
Smeagain

Post by Smeagain »

But other than that..
What do you think of the idea?
Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb
Lari

Post by Lari »

Not a bad idea. And I do understand that there are people who weren't abusing the item. I like giving the item for small quest rewards also. But there's still a problem with someone who will log on and off and collect a pack full also. Now if we had a flag to make it so you couldn't log off there or it would toss you back to recall then maybe...
Solomnius

Post by Solomnius »

Yeah i heard about something like that thought about for the new continent - if you log of you go back to recall....sounds good to me, it has potential.
The only drawback is (only for whole areas with this flag) is if you are using your track trigger for example to walk 20 north - you will be sent back to recall when forced to quit. No biggie just a thought.
Respect!
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

so type "n" instead of "north". you don't spam out on single letter commands
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Lari

Post by Lari »

Or figure out if your client has a spam protect and learn how to set it. ;)