anti-holylight

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Slart

Post by Slart »

I'm actually with Disaster on this *pause for horrified gasps of surprise* (Hi Dis :twisted:). I don't understand what it adds to an area to force heroes who have earned holylight to go back to scraping for potions and staves so they can see. About half of them will be able to just cast both spells anyway. I guess people would also have to buy a light when they died, if they didn't have continual light, but really all it would add is a set of hassles people supposedly outgrow when they hero. I just don't see how that adds any strategic elements to gameplay significant enough to counterbalance the deactivation of an earned privilege.
Divebomb
Avid Player

Post by Divebomb »

Why does any level of the game have to deal with such a hassle then?

And how does a hero "earn" holylight?

Someone at some point decided, we'll let people who have completely 100% finished the game (before the instituation of hero levels) be able to see all players so they can communicate with them and help out.

IMO holylight should make all players visible to the player and all mobs level 60 and under visible (this would then allow them to see all mortal level mobs I believe). Since the game is no longer truly over at 51, similar gameplay continues for the next 100 levels (save those 51-60 level monsters).

Holylight is an outdated ability that has persisted through other changes of gameplay. Either keep it through to the end of the game (151) or get rid of invis/hidden altogether imo - hitting 51 doesn't seem to merit the ability to see all mobs imo.

There are annoying aspects of every game that are required to keep the game going - healing potions, see invis potions, having a light, finding your horse, recovering your corpse, sleeping to recover mana, etc etc.
Fine art is the only teacher except torture.
- George Bernard Shaw
Lari

Post by Lari »

As far as this pertaining to the continent, no. I was under the impression the continent is 1-50, not for heroes.

While it might be interesting to allow that flag for areas, what would be the point? I can't see how it would really add to puzzles in hero areas at all. It's hard to come up with any type of puzzle for a hero area besides the hidden container find the keyword puzzle with the no magic flags anyhow. I do have one technique for a "puzzle" that Brod and Xorex came up with and we expanded on but I'm keeping it under my hat for now. ;)
Slart

Post by Slart »

Divebomb wrote:Why does any level of the game have to deal with such a hassle then?

There are annoying aspects of every game that are required to keep the game going - healing potions, see invis potions, having a light, finding your horse, recovering your corpse, sleeping to recover mana, etc etc.
You answered that question pretty well; I don't have much to add.
Divebomb wrote:And how does a hero "earn" holylight?
Um, by heroing, historically.
Divebomb wrote:Someone at some point decided, we'll let people who have completely 100% finished the game (before the instituation of hero levels) be able to see all players so they can communicate with them and help out.
Not just all players -- all players, all mobs, and all items. This means never accidentally leaving an invis item in your corpse, among other things. Since hero corpses take their contents with them when they melt, that's significant. Whether or not you think heroes should still have holylight, the fact that people already have it means we'd have to take it back, even if it was only while they were in a specific area. I think that's a little confusing and unfriendly, and I still don't see what's gained from it.