Rares

Suggestions for additions and modifications to the existing Barren Realms code.
Anakin
Mud Addict

Rares

Post by Anakin »

I don't know if it's just me but I find the auction channel underrated so you're all-so-boring-Anakin is going to make a suggestion. :)

If there will be a rare item in the realms that even imms can't load (type rare), the person who gets this item can auction it for something valuable or some gold (or they can keep it as a souvenir). The rare item appears maybe once every 15 days or so, randomly repopping in the realms.

Why can't an IMM load them? So our precious imms can join in the bidding or even the treasure hunt. :) The idea is to have one rare item in the entire Barren Realms.

Let me add that I'm not too versed on the codes of a MUD so I'm not really sure how this can work but I thought it'd be neat to have something like this. :)
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

The old boards had some discussions about rare-loads and quest-only type prizes. The general consensus, as I recall it, was that it would only promote twinking while leading to a gradual unbalancing of the game (unless we kept those rare's powers within or under current game balance, which makes them a lot less sought after...). Regardless, I don't feel it would add enough to the game to make it a high priority code addition for slart.
-EB
Your local know-it-all. ;)
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

i don't like the idea of imms not being able to load them, but i'm all for more quest-type difficult to find/loadable only stuff. i highly doubt that any morts or heroes would want to be competing with imms for stuff nifty enough to draw an imm's attention.
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

disaster wrote:i don't like the idea of imms not being able to load them, but i'm all for more quest-type difficult to find/loadable only stuff. i highly doubt that any morts or heroes would want to be competing with imms for stuff nifty enough to draw an imm's attention.
The problem is that when someone really wants the item, they would ask the imm to load it for them as a questprize--it beats the 'uniqueness' of the item...
It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world everday always just exactly fits in the newspaper.
-Jerry Seinfeld
disaster
Needs Help

Post by disaster »

any avatar with enough time on his/her hands can get anything that's obtainable through normal means. loadable only stuff is MUCH more rare. just look at how many people have full sets of avatar eq compared to how many have griffin-skin leggings, crystal bracelets, vortexes, etc..
"Freedom of speech" is not the same thing as "Freedom from consequences".
Anakin
Mud Addict

Post by Anakin »

10? Maybe more if they hadn't renamed it?

I'd still take my chances with 1 very rare item in the whole game.
-Jerry Seinfeld
kiri
Needs Help

Post by kiri »

Maybe if they were decorative items only, and not statted items *shrug*
Everybody
Needs Help

Post by Everybody »

I could see that... my main objection to them was that, for people to really go after them, they'd likely have to have stats beyond our "border" of being balanced.
-EB
Brodgar

Re: Rares

Post by Brodgar »

Anakin wrote:
Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:22 pm

If there will be a rare item in the realms that even imms can't load (type rare), the person who gets this item can auction it for something valuable or some gold (or they can keep it as a souvenir). The rare item appears maybe once every 15 days or so, randomly repopping in the realms.

Why can't an IMM load them? So our precious imms can join in the bidding or even the treasure hunt. :) The idea is to have one rare item in the entire Barren Realms.
Having experimented a lot with rareness from a builder perspective, believe it or not an item that loads every 15 days isn't actually that rare when you look at uptimes and player base sizes. In other words, an item that can be consistently farmed every 15 days is far less rare/more common than an item that requires an imm to load it.

Examples of some of things you can do as a builder regarding rare items:

Make an item that only loads once per boot. (Bloodweaver worked this out in The Blood Swamp)
Make an item that only loads regularly or never approximately every other boot of the mud (and think of how long we can go between boots).
Make an item that loads once an hour or once every few hours, few days, or almost never.
Make an item that only loads if certain events are triggered.
Make an entire section of an area that is only accessible sometimes or once a boot or if certain events are triggered.

We really only just began scratching the surface of builders can do with rare equipment if the builder is committed to putting the time in to make it work.

I'm sure EB can go into even more detail after the massive undertaking that was Yamanoha Fortress regarding advanced mob chutes.
Everybody
Needs Help

Re: Rares

Post by Everybody »

I certainly could... I'm honestly not sure if either of my super-rare mobs have actually ever been seen by anyone in the realms as a whole.
-EB